So what should you do when you write about life and faith on your personal blog but your main call is to be the pastor of a congregation? You put a disclaimer on your blog. If it turns out to be the most exciting page on this site, I’ve got a bigger problem than I know.
Blog Disclaimer – Things I Take Responsibility For
- Content: This is a personal blog. All opinions expressed here are my own and not those of anyone else. I am responsible for the content – not anyone else. The congregation I serve alongside is not responsible. In fact, it includes a number of faithful people who may believe that what I write here is wrong. Any group, organization, church, agency, or entity that I may be associated with is not be responsible either. And my family particularly wants you to know that they have nothing to do with what is written here!
- Mistakes and Stupidity: I may make a mistake or say something stupid. Actually, chances are pretty good that I’ll do both at some point. I’ll do my best to refrain from stupidity, but I don’t make any promises. Just for the record; any mistakes belong to me and me alone. Not that I want to claim them, but it just seems right not to shift the blame to anyone else.
- Changing my Mind: At this point, I’m still alive, which means that I am still learning. And that means that over time my thoughts and opinions may change. My posts are written from a particular place in time, and from a particular vantage point, and from the information and experience I can bring to bear in any moment. As I learn new things, however, I might end up landing in a different place. That means that current posts may express different opinions than earlier posts. We do the best we can with what we know at the time, and as we learn more we do better. Right?
- Copyright: Since most everything in the blog comes from my brain, it belongs to me. But if you like a post feel free to link to it! And any reasonable use of this material is allowed, especially if you are kind enough to credit me.
Blog Disclaimer- Things I’m not Responsible for:
- Eternal Accuracy: The information in this weblog is provided “as is” with no warranties, and confers no rights. I’ll do my best to make sure all the information, including links, are accurate at the time of posting but there’s no guarantee that information posted today will still be valid or accurate in the future. And I am not a doctor, lawyer, tax account, or anything remotely resembling these professional fields. If you think I’m offering you advice, your thinking is wrong.
- Incoming Links: I can’t control who links to me. If you see a questionable site linking to my blog take it up with them, not me. I don’t submit my blog to “link farms” or directories so if they find me it was all on their own.
- Personal Offense: I promise to try my best not to knowingly injure, defame, or libel anyone. I attempt to live in a way that honors both my faith, and the dignity of others.
- Comments: Feel free to disagree with me or tell me I’m completely off target in the comments section of each blog entry. Please be polite because tackiness or meanness prevent your message from being received. I reserve the right to delete any comment for any reason whatsoever – like abusive, profane, rude, anonymous comments, and spam. Once a comment passes moderation I won’t be held responsible for the contents of blog comments. And I’m not responsible for any laws that may be broken in any country through the content, implication, and intent of blog comments. While I would love to curate on open conversation among readers, the ability to do so depends upon the faithfulness of those commenting. You do not need to be a defender of all things you determine to be truth. I am prepared to remove the ability to comment from this site altogether if we don’t behave well.